The Late Art Nouveau building originally served as the Helsinki Workers’ House in 1908, providing leisure activities, entertainment and education for the workers of Helsinki. The facade, main staircase and the Congress Hall were decorated with images of tools and symbols to highlight the skills of the craftsmen. The building was designed by architect Karl Lindahl. The granite facade was built with stone carved from the bedrock at the building site. Some stone was set aside at the farsighted suggestion of the original workmen and was used for the extension completed in 1925. During the Finnish Civil War in 1918, the building came under heavy fire. The tower and Congress Hall had to be completely rebuilt as a result.
The building has been tastefully restored with respect to its historic past and the original architectural plans. The conference rooms in the older part of the building have been renamed after influential people in Paasitorni’s history.
See more on Paasitorni’s website.